CD Covers CC

#1 by fabian , Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:37 pm

What happened to CD Covers cc they've been on the Internet for ages and now they redirect to here. (Nothing wrong with here, really) Just wondered what happened to them.

Fabian

fabian
Date registered 11.26.2015
Thanks 2

RE: CD Covers CC

#2 by Rocky , Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:26 pm

Hi Fabian,

Bit of a long story but I will make it as short as possible.....
CDcovers was ran by some good Admins, with one Admin in particular who had overall control.
He wanted to step down after many years as he wanted a rest (retirement age). He then passed the forum onto a new Admin, someone who was new to the site and had never used it before.
He came along and ruined the site, by basically doing nothing. Updates were needed which he didnt do. The upload and download facility on the main page kept breaking and he wouldnt fix it. He demoted all Moderators and Super Moderators back down to Members (one of them was me) for no reason in the forum, which meant when the forum was Spammed nobody was around to delete or ban, or generally tidy up the forum.
It fell into disrepair and the site went through a period of 3 years without this Admin even logging in. He just left it.

There is still one Admin on there, but he has limited rights, however he was able to put the site into maintenance mode and put a link up to here

I hope this answers your question. I hope you enjoy using this forum - it certainly isnt CDCovers, however that took many years to build up.
Thanks

Paul

Rocky
Admin
Date registered 06.30.2015
Thanks 315

#3 by KatyPerryFan4Eva1982 , Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:21 pm

Well I hope the ADMIN that IS left on cdcovers.cc can fix the site soon! And why doesn't that ADMIN overule the site manager and fire him and get somebody who actually WANTS to do the job of keeping it up and running?

KatyPerryFan4Eva1982
Date registered 02.15.2016

#4 by Jammi3D , Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:07 pm

You've more chance in winning the Lottery than CdCovers.CC Admin fixing the site.

CC had been left to run into the ground for alot of years, if I were you I would ignore CC and move on, put your cover requests into the DVD section on here and will be filled in no time. If you used the Forum over on CC you will notice just about all the members have moved here too.

Jammi3D
UC Donator
Date registered 07.03.2015
Thanks 255

#5 by az37 , Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:52 am

I have used Cdcovers.cc for years and yes I too have seen it degrading recently and the redirect to this web site was half expected. The problem I have found here is that none of the covers I have searched for are in the archives, none. I can still find them at Cdcovers but now the images are blocked. My only other good source is still at FreeCovers.net. It would be nice if those at Cdcovers would clean-up the site or relinquish their data to Universal Covers.

az37  
az37
Date registered 02.22.2016

#6 by Rocky , Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:48 pm

Ok guys - just to clarify - the only link between CD covers and here is that a few of its former forum members (including myself) are on here.
There is no other link!

Therefore........
*Universal Covers is its own independant site, and this means it may not do the same things as CDcovers used too

*Universal Covers 'currently' does not have a Cover Database like CDcovers did. This is because to host covers means having lots of space, and to have lots of space the site would need a good cashflow to pay for this. We do receive donations, but what we do get does not get anywhere close to paying for such space, therefore at the moment this site is staying as a Request forum - but 'possibly' could host covers in the future

*This is a request forum, if you have searched for covers / topics using the search bar and cannot find anything.... go into the correct section of the forum and make a new topic requesting the covers you need. If one of our helpful members / moderators have the covers, you will receive them not long after requesting!

*CDcovers will not be fixed unless a miracle happens. The admin that has overall rights has not logged in since 2011 and I cannot see him doing so anytime soon. So the forums has already died and the site is on its last legs and is more than likely still live and active due to a big healthy bank balance that has been built up over time from sponsers and donations. Once this runs out the site will crash!

*If you want to help this site out, please donate. Every £1 / $1 helps, and will go towards keeping the site up and running, and also any upgrades or new features i would like to install to help the members, I will do so with this money. If the money for this site dries up at any point, this site will also die - however i will do my best to make this THE place to come for covers

Rocky
Admin
Thanks 315

#7 by az37 , Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:35 pm

Well Rocky by your own admission Universal Covers does not have the funding nor the storage capacity to maintain a database of cover files in any form, high or low resolution. The funding received is not nearly enough to pay for the space leaving Universal Covers a “by request” only web site. Furthermore it is implied that Universal covers does not have enough resources to even continue supporting the site let alone improving the site. Based on what has been said about CdCovers and about Universal Covers I would think that CdCovers has a far better chance of rising from the ashes than Universal Covers has building a functional database for its users. Therefore there is no point in donating money to a non-functional web site when there are several other sources on the web having nearly 98% of whatever you might what, although not always in high resolution. I am not condemning the site I am just stating facts and I feel that the users or those visiting Universal Covers will soon figure out what is going on and move on to a functional site having what they want. Interestingly enough some of those sites also have a request forum where you can get higher resolution files.

az37  
az37
Date registered 02.22.2016

#8 by Rocky , Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:31 pm

Thanks for your very honest words az37

At the end of the day, I will do what I can to make this website good, and will listen to opinions. I am willing to make a database for covers if thats what users want, but that will take time and resource. Currently I cannot do it, but in a few months maybe i can.
Everybody has an opinion. I believe this forum offers better covers than some other forums / sites out there. A lot of the covers on CDcovers were Hi-Res when uploaded, but compressed in size within the database and when downloaded were Low-Res.

CDcovers rising from the ashes..... I do doubt. i tried to take over the site myself, contacted a lot of people including the hosts of the site, and this was impossible. The admin could return, however he was only the admin of CdCovers for around 2 months before he disappeared so I believe he was looking to cash in on advertisements and run away with the money.

Rocky
Admin
Thanks 315

#9 by icemanx , Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:12 pm

Sorry to hear about the real reason of CDCovers.cc

just wish that all the covers was able to have here as well
because its still building and there needs a lot added

I can see what I have here that I downloaded already (before that idiot admin came in)

so i'll look around and see what people are asking for as well

then i'll upload what I can

thanks guys

icemanx
Date registered 04.05.2016
Thanks 3

#10 by mrphattz , Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:29 pm

would just like to say a MASSIVE thankyou for the work you do for us really appreciate it

mrphattz  
mrphattz
Date registered 01.11.2016
Thanks 6

#11 by obsiniius , Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:20 pm

could I please get this cover thank you

obsiniius  
obsiniius
Date registered 07.16.2015

#12 by Arniceous , Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:26 pm

I want to upload some needed covers lets meet on IRC and discuss taking over the site

Arniceous  
Arniceous
Date registered 10.29.2016

#13 by Rocky , Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:26 am

Quote: Arniceous wrote in post #12
I want to upload some needed covers lets meet on IRC and discuss taking over the site

Firstly...... who are you? And did you use CDcovers?
Secondly..... no point. I tried doing this myself and as the bills are still being paid for the website itself, you cannot take it over!

Rocky
Admin
Thanks 315

#14 by KDallas , Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:22 am

Hi Rocky,

Great to see someone stepping up and doing *something* to fill the void left behind by cdcovers.cc's mismanagement. So, thank you.

Unfortunately, as others have hinted at - CC gave users instant gratification for their downloading needs. This is not something that UC is currently able to do - but if you're willing and able to band together with a few developers and designers, I believe it would be possible to make it happen. There are quite a few options, it just requires a coordinated effort with clear goals. I am a PHP developer and as limited as my time is, I'd be willing to help make that happen.

In terms of storage, whilst it would be ideal to have all of that infrastructure -- in the short term whilst you're building up a user base, why not make it a requirement for uploaders to link to personal cloud storage accounts? This can require a vetting process if you believe that is necessary. Since it's possible to generate links that are only available to registered members, and coupled with the fact that Google Drive and Dropbox links can be completely anonymous (to name two)... it might be worth considering.

You might be wondering why I'm interested in this. Well I've contributed a few of my own covers & labels over the years to console-covers.com. It was my go-to place for very high quality custom covers, which were often far superior to retail scans. I'm not sure exactly when, but it seems like since May/June of 2016 the site went offline. I've not found any good explanation. Here's a cached copy of the home page: https://web.archive.org/web/201605022253...ole-covers.com/

I've hunted for a quality site for both downloading HQ images (scans & customs) without having to pay for some "gold" membership rubbish (you probably know which one), as well as for contributing custom works. Nada... zip.

I think there's a real opportunity to replicate the success of its predecessors, and perhaps put a new spin on it (I've got a few ideas there too). Happy to use IRC for coordinated discussions, or maybe we could roll 21st-century style and use Google hangouts. Keen to know your thoughts.

KDallas.

KDallas
Date registered 11.05.2016

What are you listening to right now...
Printing Covers

The forum and the services provided are absolutely free. However it does cost money to run this website. You can donate towards the running of the site by clicking the 'Donate' button above. Thank you!
disconnected Chat Members online 8
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor